Skip to main content

Financial Support for Full-time and Part-time Adult Students aged 19 +

To download a copy of the Student Financial Support Arrangements 2016/17 please click the link at the bottom.

Remission of Fees

A range of our courses are currently FREE to many of our adult students. The fee remission table below provides a summary of the circumstances in which you could be eligible to waive some or the entire fee for your chosen course. This is correct as at time of publishing, but may be subject to change.



A student aged 16-18 on 31st August 2017 (excluding recreational courses)

A student who is in receipt of one of the active benefits listed below:
Please Note: The evidence you provide must be current and cover the start of the course(s)


Jobseekers Allowance (JSA)


Employment and Support Allowance ESA (WRAG)


A student where Basic Skills is the main learning aim
(excluding ESOL)


A student aged 19-23 on a first full level 2 programme & SFA approved


A student aged 19-23 on a first full level 3 programme & SFA approved


A student aged 19-23 enrolling on an Entry Level or full Level 1 programme whose intention is to progress to a full Level 2 course.

Students must not already hold a full Level 2 qualification.


A student who is unemployed and on state benefits other than Job Seekers Allowance (JSA) or Employment Support Allowance (ESA WRAG) and needs skills training to help them to enter work.


Remission for this category is at the college's discretion


A student aged 19+ enrolling on GCSE Maths or English where they have not already achieved at grade A* to C


A learner in receipt of Universal Credit because they are unemployed and who are required to undertake skills training to help them to enter work.


A student aged 19-24 with a Learning Difficulty Assessment (LDA) or Educational Healthcare Plan (EHP)


  • In order to satisfy audit requirements you will be required to give evidence of your entitlements to the benefits stated.
  • You must confirm you are actively seeking work to be able to claim fee remission (for categories G and J).
  • Non-EU students with less than 3 years' residency in the UK are not entitled to fee remission.
  • Students taking self-financing courses are not entitled to either fee remission or financial support.


Newcastle Maintenance Allowance (NMA)

Who can apply for this support?

Anyone with a total household income under £21,000 per year (excluding students enrolled on an apprenticeship, a self-financing course, a higher education (HE) course or students enrolled on a course with another education provider where funding is being claimed). Please note you will be asked to provide specific evidence when you apply.

How much will I get?

You can receive up to £20 per week. All successful applicants will receive a payment schedule.
Payments will be attendance based as detailed in the payment schedule.
The £20 payment is a contribution towards the cost of travel on public transport, the cost of food at college and other course related costs.

How will I get paid?

The agreed amount will be paid onto your NULC Student ID card as per the payment schedule (there will be no cash alternatives). You will then be able to use your card to buy subsidised food and bus passes from the college.

What evidence will I need to provide?

You will be required to provide evidence of current household income and we may request up to date evidence of your household income at any point during the academic year.

What other college related costs could I get help with?

If you are approved to receive NMA you could also receive help with additional college related costs, determined by the requirements of your course, such as:  

Specialist equipment (must be claimed within 4 weeks of the start date of your bursary)
Specialist materials
Essential uniform
Compulsory trips

If you are aged 19+ you may be able to receive help towards tuition fees for levels 1 and 2 courses through discretionary fee remission if you are not eligible for automatic fee remission. Applications are considered by the Vice Principal. Awards are based on individual circumstances. Please ask a Student Finance Advisor for more details.


Childcare Funding

Childcare Funding for students aged 16-19

Care to Learn is a Government scheme whereby if you are aged 19 or under on 31st August 2017, you may be eligible to receive help with the cost of childcare and transport (up to £160 per week) whilst you are learning.  Your child must attend an Ofsted registered childcare provider.

For further information and details of how to apply please visit or telephone their Student Support Helpline on 0800 121 8989.

Discretionary Childcare Funding for students aged 20+

This is support for students where childcare costs may be a barrier to attending college. 

Who can apply for Discretionary Childcare Funding?

Students who are aged 20 or over on 31st August 2017 and where total household income is below £21,000 per year.

How will payments be made?

Payments will be made directly to an Ofsted registered childcare provider of your choice as long as the provider agrees to our terms and conditions.

How much will the College contribute towards my childcare costs?

The College will contribute a maximum of £25 per full day, £12.50 for half a day or £12.50 per day for before and after school club (based on your timetabled lessons and compulsory placements). This support is available on a term-time only basis.

What evidence will I need to provide?

You will need to provide a copy of your current Tax Credit Award, naming the child(ren) you are requesting help for. You will also need to provide details of your chosen childcare provider(s).

How do I apply?

You will have to complete an Application form for Childcare Support in addition to the Student Financial Support form.  You can get a form by downloading the Application for Childcare form from our website, by contacting the Student Finance Team on (01782) 254188 to request a copy, or by collecting one from the College.


Discretionary Remission for Tuition Fees (19+ on a Level 1 or Level 2 course)

If you are aged 19+ and your household income is below £21,000 you may be able to receive help towards tuition fees for Levels 1 and 2 course through discretionary fee remission if you are not eligible for automatic fee remission. Applications are considered by the Vice Principal. Awards are based on individual circumstances.

Please note; discretionary remission is not available for self-financing courses and Level 3 or above courses. Additionally, HE applicants are NOT eligible to apply for discretionary remission.

Paying in Installments

Courses in which the duration is longer than 3 months and which cost in excess of £150 (including exam fees), can be paid for in installments over the duration of the course or one year whichever is the shorter. The total fee for the qualification must be paid regardless of when you complete the course. While the College can't guarantee this arrangement in every case, we will do our best to accommodate requests to pay by installments.


Course fees will only be refunded where the programme has been withdrawn by the College or if you withdraw for genuine medical or other exceptional reasons. Applications for refunds should be made in writing to the College Accountant. All refunds are made at the discretion of the College.



News & Events Sign Up

Sign up to receive our latest new and information on forthcoming events. Please tell us a bit about yourself so that we can ensure everything we send you is relevant to your interests.



To request a member of staff to call you please fill in the form below: