Skip to main content

Financial Support for Full-time Students aged 16-18

Newcastle-under-Lyme College is pleased to be able to offer financial support to help students meet the costs of attending College. 

There are two types of support: College Maintenance Allowance and Vulnerable Student Bursary. Both allowances include support for food, travel and essential course costs. If you are aged 16 to 18 and received Free School Meals whilst at School you may still be eligible to receive this entitlement through one of the two allowances. You can check to see which allowance you may be eligible for by reading the guidance below. 

Financial support payment start dates will be based on the date that the fully completed application form, with the correct supporting evidence, is received in Student Services and no back-dated payments will be made. Once your application has been approved you will receive a letter of approval and a schedule of payment dates.

Application form for Student Financial Support 2017/18

College Maintenance Allowance 

Who can apply for this support?

Anyone with a total household income under £21,000 per year (excluding students enrolled on an apprenticeship, a self-financing course, a higher education (HE) course or students enrolled on a course with another education provider where funding is being claimed). Please note you will be asked to provide specific evidence when you apply.

How much will I get?

You can receive up to £20 per week. All successful applicants will receive a payment schedule.
Payments will be attendance based as detailed in the payment schedule.
The £20 payment is a contribution towards the cost of travel on public transport, the cost of food at college and other course related costs.

How will I get paid?

The agreed amount will be paid onto your NULC Student ID card as per the payment schedule (there will be no cash alternatives). You will then be able to use your card to buy subsidised food and bus passes from the college.

What evidence will I need to provide?

You will be required to provide evidence of current household income and we may request up to date evidence of your household income at any point during the academic year.

What other college related costs could I get help with?

If you are approved to receive College Maintenance Allowance you could also receive help with additional college related costs, determined by the requirements of your course, such as:  

Specialist equipment (must be claimed within 4 weeks of the start date of your bursary)
Specialist materials
Essential uniform
Compulsory trips

If you are aged 19+ you may be able to receive help towards tuition fees for levels 1 and 2 courses through discretionary fee remission if you are not eligible for automatic fee remission. Applications are considered by the Vice Principal. Awards are based on individual circumstances. Please ask a Student Finance Advisor for more details.


Childcare Funding for students aged 16-19

Care to Learn is a Government scheme whereby if you are aged 19 or under on 31st August 2016, you may be eligible to receive help with the cost of childcare and transport (up to £160 per week) whilst you are learning.  Your child must attend an Ofsted registered childcare provider.

For further information and details of how to apply please visit or telephone their Student Support Helpline on 0800 121 8989.

Application for Childcare Financial Support


Vulnerable Student Bursary (for students aged 16-18 on 31st August 2016).

Who can apply?

You can apply for this bursary if ONE or more of the following applies to you:

You are in local authority care or have recently left local authority care; or
You are in receipt of Income Support or Universal Credit in your own name; or
You are in receipt of Employment Support Allowance (ESA) and either Disability Living Allowance (DLA) or Personal Independence Payments (PIP) in your own name.

How much will I get?

You can get up to £1200 in total each academic year.

You will receive most of your bursary through an allocation of £30 per week.  All successful applicants will receive a payment schedule.
Payments will be attendance based as detailed in the payment schedule.  

The remainder of your bursary will be allocated to meet your needs and the requirements of your course.  This will be determined through one to one meetings with a Student Finance Advisor.

How will I get paid?

The money will be paid directly into your bank account. It is essential that you have a bank account in your own name.

When will I receive my first payment?

Once your application has been approved you will receive a schedule of payment dates.

What evidence will I need to provide?

You will be required to provide a local authority care status letter or current benefit evidence.


Travel Costs

Subsidised First, Smart and Arriva bus passes are available to purchase from the College Cash Office.  Please note – we are unable to replace lost bus passes.

 “Your Staffordshire Card” is a scheme available through Staffordshire County Council.  If you live in Staffordshire (excluding Stoke-on-Trent) and are aged under 20, you can apply for a free card which will enable you to travel for £1.30 per journey where your trip starts or finishes in Staffordshire (excluding Stoke-on-Trent).  Please visit  for further information and how to apply.

If you need any help or assistance in relation to any of the above information, please do not hesitate to contact the Student Finance Team on 01782 254188 or by e-mailing We are happy to give advice and guidance over the phone, or to arrange appointments on a one to one basis.



News & Events Sign Up

Sign up to receive our latest new and information on forthcoming events. Please tell us a bit about yourself so that we can ensure everything we send you is relevant to your interests.



To request a member of staff to call you please fill in the form below: