Community invited to celebrate 50 years of Newcastle-under-Lyme College
21st June 2016
Past, present and prospective students, staff, their families and members of the local community are invited to celebrate 50 years of Newcastle-under-Lyme College (NULC) this Saturday at its Knutton Lane campus.
The event will be held at the £60million campus on Knutton Lane between 10am and 2pm on Saturday 25th June and will feature activities, exhibitions, demonstrations and interactive displays spanning five decades. Highlights of the event include:
- Live broadcasting from Signal 1
- NULC annual art exhibition – Fifty, including artwork sale
- Walk down memory lane – see photographs, prospectuses and other memorabilia of NULC through the decades
- Rolling film presentation – take a seat, grab a drink and watch a short promotional video of NULC including footage from 1966 - 2016
- Exhibition football match recreating the 1966 England v West Germany World Cup final (KO 1pm) – staff and students will be going head-to-head in an exhibition football match
- Meet former Stoke City footballer and NULC Academy Head Coach Andy Griffin
- Live music
- Fashion show – current Fashion students will be showcasing their latest designs on the catwalk (11.30am and 1pm)
- Competition to win an iPad mini
- Games throughout the ages – play retro games
- Staffordshire University Virtual Reality Bus – discover what life is really like as a student at Staffordshire University
- British Army display
Visitors can help themselves to free ice-cream (while stocks last). Afternoon tea will be available (small donation to Douglas Macmillan Hospice is appreciated) and NULC catering services will be in full swing in the Food Hall from 12 noon for visitors to purchase a hot snack and drink (at a small fee) and take a seat in the courtyard.
Prospective students are invited to come along between 10am and 12noon to meet tutors and current students and find out more about the wide range of courses on offer.
Talks and presentations on the morning include a ‘College Overview’ presented by Karen Dobson at 11am. Visitors will also be able to hear about the range of support on offer, from financial help and additional learner support to activities and enrichment opportunities.
Karen Dobson, Principal and Chief Executive at NULC, said: “This event combines our traditional open event for school leavers to provide information on the full range of course options available to them and also celebrates 50 years of the College providing further education to the community of Newcastle-under-Lyme and Stoke-on-Trent.”
Karen continued: “We have, over the years continually invested in both our facilities and our staff to ensure our students have an excellent learning experience and I am pleased to say that tens of thousands of local people have benefitted from studying at NULC since the doors first opened in 1966. Today, our top class facilities, excellent success rates and outstanding financial health give us a fantastic platform to build upon and I am confident that we will continue to maintain our position of ‘College of first choice’ locally, for many years to come.”
Prospective students attending the open event for course advice are urged to beat the queues by pre-registering online at www.nulc.ac.uk/events.
In 2015 the College exceeded national benchmarks with a 99% pass rate for vocational subjects and a 99.2% pass rate for A Levels.
Courses are available in a wide range of subjects including 34 different AS/A Levels plus vocational courses in Art, Design and Media, Beauty Therapy, Fashion, Business and Accounting, Childcare and Early Years, Computing and IT, Construction, Engineering, Hairdressing, Health and Social Care, Music, Performing Arts, Theatre Studies, Public Services, Sport and Travel and Tourism with Events.
To find out more about courses at Newcastle-under-Lyme College (NULC) visit www.nulc.ac.uk or contact the Information Point on 01782 254254 or email@example.com. To find out more about the event and our 50 years celebrations visit www.nulc.ac.uk/50years.